Wednesday, October 5, 2011

People Watching in Photo Part II

Transforming my People Watching project into a magazine took quite a bit of work.  I had to completely reevaluate my original idea in terms of presentation.  Putting a series of three pictures into a magazine format would have proved challenging and would have left something out if they were to be grouped together.  I came to the conclusion it would have to be either a series of 4 or a pair of pictures instead of a series of 3.  Creating a series of 4 pictures did not seem best to convey the idea of a single moment captured in time because it would be split up over a series of 2 pages.  This is not what I intended, which is why I chose pairs of pictures over a series of 4 for the magazine format.  Morphing my series into pairs proved difficult when taking pictures out of existing series, but it allowed for more variation in the pictures I was able to use because I was able to pull out any one of the series and still have it work as a pair.  Often it became stronger as a pair rather than a series.  The move from threes to  pairs allowed for my set to have a little more flow, but yet still be open for interpretation.    I wanted a sequence that conveyed movement to others as I saw it, just as Robert Frank wished to "create a form that enabled him to convey his understanding of the country with such strength, conviction, and immediacy that it would engender similar experiences in others," as Sarah Greenough points out in her "Transforming Destiny into Awareness: The Americans".  Frank did this by establishing a specific order, which he didn't change through any of the editions.  I on the other hand have established a sequence, which was cut down to a pair.  I do not wish to cut my pair down to a single picture because this will disrupt the idea I am trying to convey.  The order of my pairs does not mean much, but the fact that they are paired helps me to better convey the idea of movement and where it takes us.

5 comments:

  1. I can completely relate to having to change the layout ideas for your project because of MagCloud. It's weird, MagCloud enables you to make this totally cool magazine with barely any effort, and yet, it's still kind of restrictive. I suppose in order to make it so doable they have to make it restrictive, but I wish MagCloud could wrap its head around some more inventive layout ideas...or at least odd numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your organization is so apparent in your series. I admire how each set of two photos really complement each other and establish the sense of movement and rhythm that Greenough discussed in response to Frank's photographs. Also, your cover photo really engages viewers and makes them want to flip the page and uncover the rest of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your front and back cover photos - you chose the perfect ones to first engage your viewer, and then give them closure. The whole thing really looks polished - I think it helps that all your photos are oriented in the same direction. It looks so inviting, I wouldn't be surprised if you sold some copies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a stellar job at adjusting your format for the magazine. You really edited your photos and chose the best two of each series and I think that really paid off for your vision. Your simple titles are also great, because they don't distract and aren't too wordy. They guide the viewer without telling them what to think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your magazine sequences/pairs read like an animations calling attention to movement and calling to mind flip books and early attempts to use stills to trick the eye into seeing the flow of movement. Thinking through your idea, adding to it, and editing down to pairs made the series work in new ways.

    ReplyDelete