Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tearing My Hair Out

  

Creating videos from existing videos, really brings to light how important paying attention to copy write law is.  It was something very interesting to explore, and caused me to watch a lot of videos and pick out specific parts before I really sat down to work.  This made the editing process a lot easier.
 One thing that confuses me about copy write law is that I'm not entirely sure why writing (about literature or science) allows so much "copying" but in commercial art it seems so taboo, I personally would be flattered if someone started copying my work.  
     When I first started on Saturday I was having problems with Final Cut Pro X, so I decided to give myself a break and come back to it on Sunday.  On Sunday, the video editing went very well and very quickly because I knew what I wanted to do.  The problems started when I tried to do anything fancy.  I couldn't add titles or effects.  Final Cut would stop responding and then it would basically crash.  The first few times I lost all my work.  Then I tried reformatting my external hard drive (I backed up the data of course)  If all had gone according to plan I would have been done at 10pm and comfortably in bed by 11, but here I am, in the lab at 2:13am trying to salvage yet another attempt at my project so I don't have to start entirely from scratch again.  You may ask, why didn't I save my project as I went along.  I did.  Several times in fact.  Turns out what I did save wasn't a good file (although when it finally would save and work, it was the same format). 
   For projects like this, technology can be incredibly useful and at other times, you just want to chuck things against a wall because they seem entirely hopeless.  It really puts a hamper on getting things done if technology decides not to cooperate.

Update: After finally convincing the computer to agree with me at about 4:30am, I produced this gem, uploaded it to Youtube, and now can finally go to bed.  The picture you see above is only one of many examples of absolute and utter frustration Final Cut Pro was providing. 

Unfortunately there are currently some errors in the gadgets available for viewing YouTube videos in your blog, but when they are working, expect to see an embedded video, otherwise for now, my video is here and on YouTube.

2 comments:

  1. The idea of someone using your artwork really is exciting. But then I realized that, if someone uses my work and gains more attention and as a result gets the credit even though I have been cited, would be pretty devastating. Or maybe I am just being a drama queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your art work is quoted, doesn't it demonstrate that it was good enough (or bad enough in some cases) to be quoted? It has an aura or it has cultural currency.

    ReplyDelete