Monday, March 5, 2012

Screen Relations




Bourriard's idea that the technology of today effects artists who don't use it.  It causes art to be created in a much shorter amount of time as has been stressed quite often in class.  I think this is entirely true.  I almost wanted to do my video in a low quality film because it would have given it that "old timey" feel that I ended up really wanting, but didn't think the video effects could get right.  Looking back on my approach, using all real props and settings of my grandmother's in the video, What Wouldn't Have Been, was incredibly effective.  When this mixed with the sound that I collaborated with my soundscape artists on it became even better.  Part of me wants to go back and create it in real film, but another part of me realizes the nice soundtrack I have couldn't possibly go with a film version of this movie and it is almost Bourriard's ideas of screen relations screaming at me.  The video just wouldn't be the same without the soundtrack, a soundtrack I know that I couldn't have come up with on my own.
(Due to technical difficulties, youtube video will be posted later.  The technical difficulties are apparently trying to get the point across that you should come to the Warch Campus Center Cinema (2nd floor) at 7pm tonight March 5, 2012 in order to view this video and those of my fellow classmates on the big screen)

Edit: As you can all probably tell my video has uploaded to YouTube

4 comments:

  1. I am also having technical difficulties uploading my video to Youtube. Wonder what's up with that. I think your video shows how you can create an "old-timey" feel using modern technology. I mean, you have footage of VHS, which is super "old-timey" in this day and age! Also, the soundscape your composers came up with evokes a kind of creepy nostalgia. You don't necessarily need old tools to make it feel old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see why you would want an effect or to actually shoot this on film, but I think it was still very affective in the end. I also think it was really important to your concept to have it in color. If you wanted the "old timey" feel, you could have changed it to black and white, but I am glad you did not take that route. The soundscape was also very effective, giving the video an eerie feeling that absolutely referenced the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the combination of HD Video with home movie footage was really effective. It exemplified the juxtaposition of what could have been and what really is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your video traces imaging technology from studio portrait photographs to snapshots and home video and reflects on memory and memories and how the screen has become integral or inseparable from our lives and memories. Your short video conveyed all of that and more. The soundscape did evoke mid-20th century sci-fi (time travel?). That seems another layer!

    ReplyDelete